TUTORIAL – Crochet Toddler Bow Scarf – Part 1

toddler scarf

After some unexpected interest in my crochet version of the knit toddler scarf from my last post, I have finally found time to post a tutorial with some pictures.

Again, the original knit version of the scarf is from Little Inspiration and she has a great knit version on her blog. Check it out!

I am no expert at patterns or tutorials so don’t be too critical =)

There was quite a bit of trial and error with various hook sizes and yarn types. I’ve narrowed it down to what works for me for the look I was hoping to achieve. The end result is a super soft functional scarf perfect for a toddler (1-3 years). The pattern can be easily adjusted for an older child by making it longer.

Starting with materials, I found the bulky size 5 yarn works best to give warmth and thickness without being awkwardly shaped. This acrylic yarn is also easy to care for by being machine washable and dry-able. I try to keep in mind the maintenance and durability of something for a toddler. I know my son would have stained something white in 2 seconds.
charisma yarn

20121204-212141.jpg
For a bulky (5) yarn, my size N-9.00mm needle worked best.

20121204-213010.jpg
I started by chaining 15

20121204-213119.jpg
And then double crochet into the 3rd chain from the hook.

20121204-213849.jpg

20121204-213947.jpg

20121204-214001.jpg

20121204-214108.jpg
Then continued with DC across the chain (13 DC total)

20121204-214317.jpg
At the end of the row chaining 2, then turning. After turning, DC across. Continue completing 5 rows of DC

20121204-214544.jpg

20121204-214635.jpg
I placed the opening for the bow (button) in the 6th row of DCs. DC 6, (should be at the semi- mid point in the row by now).

20121204-215342.jpg
I chained 2

20121204-215515.jpg
skipped 2 of the DC from the previous row, then continued with 5 DC finishing the row

20121204-215751.jpg

20121204-215811.jpg
Now you have your small opening at one end of the scarf for the bow “button”.
I continued on with DC in each chain, chaining 2 at the end of the row, turning (repeating)…for a total of 32 rows. Giving me about 28 inches in length. Again, the length can be modified to whatever age desired.

20121204-220639.jpg

20121204-220732.jpg
Binding off and weaving in the ends

20121204-220859.jpg
I love this scarf. It’s soft, functional, durable, can be dressed up or down. Most importantly its safe for a small child. There are no snaps or actual buttons that could cause a choking hazard. I don’t agree with giving a toddler a circle scarf or something that can not easily come undone when caught on something or pulled. The functional bow can be pulled from the opening with a slight tug allowing the scarf to easily come undone.

Instructions for the bow are going to come in a part 2. I was too excited to post this I didn’t get to photographing the bow.

For those who had questions I hope I answered atleast some of them allowing you to create your own beautiful gems. ALL I ask is you give credit where its due. The link for the original knit version is at the top of this post. For those who would like to request a completed scarf, head on over to the shop! I will be listing this beauty in my Etsy store in various shades. Thank You!

I promise the part 2 will come soon!

**********************

UPDATE!! —> part 2 with the crochet bow is now posted!

About these ads
This entry was posted in Crochet, DIY - Tutorial and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to TUTORIAL – Crochet Toddler Bow Scarf – Part 1

1. Vix says:

This is fantastic! A friend of mine asked for a scarf and hat for her daughter (nearly two) but I was unsure since toddlers don’t normally wear scarves for safety reasons and I was backed up by the distinct lack of scarf patterns for youngsters. But this seems like a fantastic idea. It won’t go with the hat and cardigan I’ve already finished for xmas but never mind :)
    Please please post part two soon so I can crochet up a couple of these for gifties
    Vix

2. Linda Utt says:

Thanks for posting this. I love this scarf great for small children. Will have to make one. Can’t wait for the bow.

3. Pingback: Crochet Toddler Bow Tutorial from PINspiration Knit Scarf – Part 2 « chucksforchancho

4. Mercy says:

So cute!!
    Would it be all right for me to make this to sell? My sister’s sister in law wants one of these for her daughter.

5. Phyllis says:

I’m not sure I have the dimensions quite right, as I was only able to find ’6′ chunky yarn and not ’5′. Can I ask what the dimensions of this scarf are (length and width the completed scarf and length and width of the completed bow)? I’d really appreciate it, thanks for your time!

• What a coincidence, someone else just asked this exact same question! A super bulky ’6′ yarn will work so dont worry. I’ve tried it out also. The number of stitches will just be 1 or 2 less per row, that’s all. I aim for a completed size of 7inch wide and 30inch long for the scarf. The bow is about 3inch wide by 6inch long. Almost any size yarns will work as long as the measurements are what you want them to be. I always improvise ! :-) hope this helps!!

6. mrsbee23 says:

What a great project, thanks so much for posting this tutorial! I saw the original picture on Pinterest too but as I can’t knit thought I was out of luck. I haven’t been able to find ’5′ chunky yarn though and was only able to get my hands on ’6′. Would you be willing to provide the dimensions of the completed scarf and bow so I can check if I’m on par with your pattern? Thanks for your time!

• Hi! So glad someone else felt the same way I did! A super bulky ’6′ yarn will work so dont worry. I’ve tried it out also. The number of stitches will just be 1 or 2 less per row, that’s all. I aim for a completed size of 7inch wide and 30inch long for the scarf. The bow is about 3inch wide by 6inch long. Almost any size yarns will work as long as the measurements are what you want them to be. I always improvise ! :-) hope this helps!!

7. celina kubiak says:

this is the cutest pattern ever!!! thank you for sharing!!!

8. Pingback: Currently – June 2013 | chucksforchancho

9. Cora says:

Not sure if you will get this. But I am attempting to make the scarf. I have a “5″ bulky yarn by Lion Brand. I am using a N hook and my stitches are nowhere near as tight as yours. Did you use 2 strands together in this pattern and forget to mention that. The pictures look like you are using a 4WW with a G Hook instead of a 5/N….thanks.

• Hi! Just as pictured in the post, I am using 1 strand of bulky 5 yarn along with a size N hook. I feature the yarn I used along with the exact hook. Might just be the tension, every crocheter is different. Try using a smaller size K hook to see if it makes a difference in the stitches? Hope that helps.

10. Cora says:

I did use a K hook and it looks more like the picture now. Except I have 42 rows to make 28″ but no big deal…Thanks so much. Very cute scarf!!! My 18m old will love it this winter!

11. Cora says:

OH, and I had to ch 20 to start to make it 7″ wide (so 18stitches per row).
    At least they were easy fixes…lol

12. Pingback: Toddler Puppy scarf | acraftyday

13. Shelly says:

I’m not real good @crocheting, but this looks easy enough for me! Excited! Can’t wait to get started for my granddaughter. Thank You So Much

14. Awesome crochet version! Thanks for sharing my Images and my original creation. Please give credit when you use my photo. Thanks! :)

• THANK YOU for the inspiration!! I absolutely love your photos and always provide a link back to original artists. I try very hard to keep my blogging universe as transparent as possible. Too many photos get used nowadays without crediting the original.

15. Kathryn says:

That scarf is fabulous and adorable! I will make one for my grand daughter. Thank you for sharing!